Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Linking children to books, languages and cultures





I'm excited to share the release of my latest children's book-Book Fiesta written by the award winning author Pat Mora and published by Harper Collins. Pat is the author and founder of the family literacy initiative El día de los libros; Children's Day/Book Day. In my native Mexico we celebrate the day of the child on April 30 and I am proud to contribute my artwork to support the idea that children and books need to be connected.
This past month I had the privilege to speak to educators at the University of Arizona in Tucson with another amazing collaborator, writer Pam Muñoz Ryan. It was energizing to see the excitement of new and experienced teachers for books and our event culminated with a wonderful group of musicians-children from a local school who played and sang mariachi music.
I was honored to participate in the 2009 NAIS-National Association for Independent Schools Conference that brought together 3500 educators and administrators in Chicago. I had the great opportunity to create 3 paintings for the keynote speaker Oprah Winfrey and her schools in South Africa. I greatly admire her passion for books as she has done such important work to promote literacy in our country. We also shared our enthusiasm for President Barack Obama.
On the drawing board right now is a new mural for the San Diego Cooperative Charter School. We look forward to painting it this May with children, parents and teachers.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Rafa!! My goodness... look at the amazing work you are creating. My friend, you never cease to amaze me.

Bobbi

Unknown said...

wow... thats a great shot rafael! you, the O and the O... sweet.

hope all is well