Friday, January 14, 2011

Music on my Mind

Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. No wonder it has found it's way into so much of my work. It is an essential part of my ability to create.
My father was and architect by trade but his real passion was digging up vanishing music from Old Mexico. Huasteca songs from Hidalgo and San Luis Potosi, Tierra Caliente from Guerrero and Veracruz tunes with Cuban and Caribbean influences. With his brother Ruben who hosted a radio program for UNAM devoted to these songs and musicologist Raul Helmer they traversed my country in search of pieces of musical history. Growing up listening to these amazing recordings and playing instruments with my family are among my favorite childhood memories. I started playing the guitar at age five and studied indigenous South American instruments in sixth grade. My best friends are musicians and I send my young son to a public school that has a strong music program.
When painting I listen to music and think about the colors the sounds and rhythm bring to the surface of my canvas.
Take a look and see if you can hear the music.









No comments: